DataPlace: Another Beautiful Site for Quick U.S. GeoVisualizations
Here is how an average evening at home on the couch goes at our place:
Buster: Um, can you tell me something? Where are all the counties in the U.S. that are more than 90% white?
Me: Hmm, great question! Give me 10 minutes.
Much like the Brookings’ data site, DataPlace offers lots of pre-packaged data indicators. There are core demographics, health, arts, lots of real estate, and more. Data resolution goes down to zip codes, and includes counties (unlike the Brookings site). You can even create your own index indicator, using a combination of the pre-packaged indicators.
Check it out, and if you put a widget* on your own tumblr, let me know in the comments!
- Maps several popular Census geographies
- User chooses Google Map or Satellite base
- Build an easily embeddable widget for your your particular search
- Make and map your own index
- Intuitive user design
- Data sets not available for download
- User unable to adjust data classes
*Turn the widget code into a snippet that Tumblr (or Wordpress or whoever will accept). Use this awesome tool Embedr.